Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Lenny Revell "Lessons" CD Review



I was first exposed to Lenny Revell through the Spy Guys TV Show free newspaper and when I first seen his picture I thought to myself "Cool, T-Shirt Lenny". Lenny was wearing a black Spider-Man T-shirt. Being a Comic Book Fan I noticed it right away, and being internet savvy I went to the Spy Guys website and seen a video of Lenny singing and playing and I must say I was impressed by his talents. Lenny is a talented singer/songwriter who accompanies his singing with his own skillful piano playing. Lenny is a 1-man show who writes his own music and covers other artists' music as well.

OK, on with the review...
First of all Lenny is backed up by an excellent back-up band on "Lessons", the full band fills out Lenny's impressive arrangements and enhances Lenny's overall sound. The few times I have seen Lenny perform he has been by himself so I was pleasantly surprised to hear Lenny backed up by a full band.
Song 1 "All In Your Head" is very positive and upbeat, a good choice for kicking off the CD.
Lenny's overall sound on this track reminded me of Billy Joel.
"Expectations" sounds like it could be a cool 70's TV show theme-song turned Top-40 hit, the verses are very catchy and melodic and they are filled out with some nice, reggae guitar rhythm playing and a melodic piano solo rounds out this track. The arrangement and singing on this song are reminiscent of a song you may hear on a Broadway, New York sound stage.
The title of track 5, Ghost, interested me as anyone who knows me knows I'm into the paranormal...I can envision some hot dancers clicking their fingers to the intro...click, click,...
anyway, the initial progression has a familiar sound but Lenny quickly makes the familiar sounding melody into a unique song all his own, the subject matter is scary good!
"Who Am I?" is my fave song on this CD, the subject matter (Spider Man) is right up my alley and the guitar playing on this track is amazing, being a guitarist/bassist myself I was waiting to hear some nice guitar on the "Lessons" CD and this track provided it.
Track 7 "My Passion Of Life" has a Broadway Show Tune feel to it.
"Serenity" moved me with it's melancholy feel and melody.
"Love Is Just Her Fix" is one of my fave tracks on "Lessons", the guitar solo is fantastic and the groove and melodic lyrics are top notch.
Track 10 'Til Death To Us Part" has a 70's era Disco groove to it.
"Prelude/Revenge Of Little Red Riding Hood" is a tour de force in piano playing, impressive and melodic, the classical piano playing on this track highlights Lenny's talented and masterful piano playing. The intro sounds like a horror film soundtrack, the track continues into a classical/rock E.L.O type of song, I very much enjoyed this song.

Lenny sounds and plays like a true recording artist should, in my humble opinion Lenny should take a musical trip to New York City and/or Hollywood where his piano playing and melodic singing will probably take him very far in the music business, Buffalo doesnt have a whole lot of opportunities for talented singer/songwriters like Lenny, which is a shame because Lenny is such an amazing talent.

No comments: