Thursday, November 16, 2023

Ezekial - BLK HWY music review/interview

EZEKIAL - Buffalo, NY

Exclusive interview with Ezekial singer Chris Dimmick by Joe Tell.

JT: Please describe your first musical memory, why was it so memorable?
CD: When I was 11 years old, I got a cheap Harmony guitar for Christmas. We didn't have a lot of money, but that guitar looked like a Gibson to me. I played that guitar every day, I knew back then I wanted to be a rock star. By the time I was 12, I was writing my own songs. They weren't great, but pretty good for a kid. I used to go to Uno's pizza to play guitar and sing for pizza and change for pinball. That was my start and I'll never forget it.

JT: Who influenced you and who are your favorite singers/bands?
CD: First it was Ian Gillan from Deep Purple and Jon Anderson from Yes. I'd sing along with Made In Japan from Deep Purple and Yessongs from Yes and pretend I was onstage. Then I began to imitate David Lee Roth (Van Halen), Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Steve Perry (Journey) and Biff Byford (Saxon). These are all still my favorites today.  

JT: Is there any song(s) that never fail to move you every time you listen to them?
CD: I wrote 2 songs on Blk Hwy with the band that move me. The first one is called When Heaven Calls. It's for a fantastic guitar player and an old friend, Mike Biddlecom. Mike, Joe and I were in a band called Vicious Circle. Mike passed away from cancer and is deeply missed. The second song is Hard Moving On. I wrote that song after my son's passing in 2018 from suicide. Please, if anybody out there is thinking of suicide, please talk to someone. Anyone's life can change in the blink of an eye, so please call someone. (Call Suicide Prevention Coalition 716-834-3131 (Erie County) or 1-800-273-8255 (National). Every time I sing or hear these songs, it takes me to a place and hurts my heart. They also make me smile, remembering all the good times we had.

JT: What singer(s)/musician(s) would you love to meet?
CD: Jon Anderson from Yes, David Lee Roth (Van Halen), Biff Byford (Saxon) and Jared Leto from 30 Seconds To Mars. I think he's a truly great actor and talented singer. I think it's pretty awesome to be great at both.

JT: How long have you been singing? What inspires you to continue singing?
CD: I've been singing for 45 years. I hate to show my age, but it's true. I just love to perform. I love seeing people laugh and smile and headbang when I'm singing. Music keeps me going, rock and roll keeps me young. Alice Cooper and Mick Jagger are still out there performing to this day.

JT: Please tell us your most memorable story from when Ezekial was on tour.
CD: Well, there are many stories but most I can't talk about. Names and dates would have to be changed to protect the innocent lol! But there was this one time when we had just finished a show at the Gasworks in Toronto, Canada. We went back to the hotel with a bunch of people from the gig and somebody (?) threw a bottle of beer through a picture window onto the cars in the parking lot below, breaking the windshield with glass everywhere. Well, let me just say that every dime we made on that show went to paying for the cost of the damages. The band ate dorito sandwiches and tuna for the next couple of days while we were on tour in Canada.

JT: Describe your perfect day, musically or otherwise.
CD: My perfect day is seeing all of my friends, loved ones and friends happy, healthy and safe. Musically, singing until I can't sing no more or maybe just driving one of my hot rods down the black highway. 

JT: Where can Ezekial fans buy music and band merchandise?
CD: Right now, all our music and merch is available at our shows. If you see any of the band members out in the clubs or on the street, just ask us and we'll get whatever you want to you somehow. Thank you for all your support in advance.

JT: When is your next live show with Ezekial?
CD: May 4th at The Rockin' Buffalo Saloon with special guests' Prezence. We look forward to seeing everyone there!

Here's a few pics from Ezekial's last performance at the Rockin' Buffalo Saloon.





















Latest show flyer from a 10/14/23 Ezekial performance with special guests' Prezence.

EZEKIAL's Newest release is called BLK HWY. Music review by Joe Tell.

The first song on BLK HWY is called Come On. Come On delivers all the rock and roll goods you would expect from EZEKIAL. Ezekial is known for powerful guitars (Steve TisLaretz), pounding drums (Jon White), deep, growling bass (Rich Nicholas) and roaring vocals (Chris Dimmick). The track starts with an amazing drum volley followed by some aggressive, metallic sounding guitar and bass rhythms. The soaring vocals lift the track up into overdrive with a spirited and energetic delivery. The overall sound can best be described as high energy hard rock or heavy metal. Come On becomes a battle cry and a call to arms to get ready for the sonic assault that is to come.
Round-N-Round is a hard rock love ballad about a partner who is indecisive about a romantic relationship. The musical track features a beautiful, flat-picked guitar rhythm that never overpowers the vocal melody. The percussion track adds some extra flair with a tambourine and harmonious chimes throughout the song.
Hard Moving On is a very special song about the passing of Chris' son. This one is made me a little emotional having met him and having known Chris all these years. You can hear the intense feeling in Chris' voice as he sings his heart out.
Long Time Back marks the return of Buffalo's hard rock legends, Ezekial. A chugging guitar brings the song in and establishes the heavy rhythm. A bluesy and soulful slide guitar set the stage for the vocals to begin. The lyrics convey the rebellious and rocking history of Ezekial and celebrates its return to the WNY music scene. The layered vocal harmonies on the chorus sound sweet and highlight Chris' vocal talents. The bass takes center stage as it brings in a harmonious harmonica solo. I wasn't expecting a harmonica solo, so I was pleasantly surprised and immediately drawn further into the sounds of Long Time Back. Long Time Back is my favorite song on Blk Hwy. Long Time Back hooked me the very first time I heard it, as it shows how talented the band really is with its slide guitar and harmonica solo and outro.
A low, pulsating keyboard establishes the mood for Time Will Tell. A beautiful guitar intro adds harmony to the bottom end the keys provide. The vocals convey a melancholy feeling with a moving delivery. I can picture the silhouette of a lone figure walking alone in the rain in my mind as I listen to Time Will Tell.
A deep, solid bass line and a tom-tom heavy drum beat kick off Every Little. The song is driven by the tribal back beat the rhythm section lays down. The vocals establish the melody and are relatable as they sing about you, me and heart-felt feelings. The vocal harmonies sound sweet and haunting, enhancing the lyrics.
Ezekial takes you on a heavy metal journey with the title track, Black Highway. The kind of rockin' road trip with the hard twists and turns that only Ezekial can provide. A heavy detuned guitar starts the ride and the bass clears the road for the guitar solo. The vocals provide the power and fuel to see the journey through. The lyrics give fair warning of what could happen when you travel on the black highway with Ezekial. A vibra-slap adds some extra juice to the journey. Black Highway is one of my favorite songs on this release.
Heaven Calls is a song Chris and I have a personal connection to. Heaven Calls is dedicated to guitarist, Mike Biddlecom (R.I.P.), who lost his battle with cancer in 2016. The lyrics are about Mike looking forward to seeing heaven and him saying goodbye to his fiance, Cheryl. I thought of all the good times Chris and I had with Mike as I listened to this one.
Dream starts with a sound bite from Chris Dimmick. It made me chuckle and set the mood up to enjoy the rest of the song. The vocals and lead guitar take turns dominating the melodic, metallic mix. The song conveys a feeling of fun loving playfulness in the lyrics and upbeat rhythm. 
Beginnings serves as the intro to Back Off. Back Off is a straight up, hard driving rock and roll song. The tempo hits hard and moves steadily along at a fist-pumping inducing pace.            
Bonus Tracks: Rich Nicholas is featured on Back Ta U. Rich lets it all hang out, singing and playing piano on what sounds like a demo of a song that was never fully completed. The melody still shines through the rough mix.
Sharon is a live demo that was done in one take. This song has never been played live and this is only recording of this song to date. Once again, this is very melodious song that features Chris belting it out on vocals. His performance is stirring and dynamic. This track features Jamie Z. and Rich Tucker.  
BLK HWY confirms the fact that Ezekial have matured as songwriters and musicians.
I highly recommend Ezekial's Blk Hwy to any fan of hard rock and heavy metal. Blk Hwy is sure to please. 










Richie and Bob Avino enjoying a brew @ the Buffalo Music Awards 2009.



Ezekial circa 2005.



This post is dedicated to Christopher Barron Dimmick 3/27/86 - 1/7/2018.

No comments: