Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Noah Gokey & The Skulls - Mr Goodbar


July 19 - Noah Gokey & The Skulls will be @ Mr. Goodbar with The Great Mistake



CD Release Extravaganza! May 2nd at Nietzsche's in Buffalo with Dirty Smile, The Great Mistake, and John Gusky. Noah Gokey & The Skulls will be giving out a copy of the new CD Dream American, along with our 2011 album Questions for Answers, and a bonus limited edition live CD with handmade signed artwork, to each guest.


Noah Gokey & The Skulls "Dream American" CD review.

I'd like to start the review with a back story about my first exposure to Noah Gokey & The Skulls (NG&TS). While attending open mic at The Tudor Lounge I met NG&TS bassist Rob Schmarder and I explained to him that I have a local music blog and I gave him my biz card. I catch alot of people off guard with this info but much to my surprise Rob had a copy of the NG&TS CD release Questions For Answers in his car and he was nice enough to give me a promo copy of Questions For Answers. Thank you Rob!

Next I was contacted by NG&TS's multi-instrumentalist Corey Hagstrom. Corey asked me if I was interested in reviewing NG&TS's new CD Dream American, I said Yes! not yet knowing that Corey had a way cool internet podcast show. I was scheduled to do the Noah's Ark show as a member of The Psychedelic Dragons. Again much to my surprise upon learning Noah was Corey or was it learning that Corey was Noah? ... the Dragons had a great time on AllWNYRadio with Noah and JoeC. I became Kyle3 to avoid any confusion between me and JoeC or is it Josey?... http://www.allwnyradio.com/

OK now that's out of the way I can continue onto my review of the Dream American CD.
Dream American starts off with an acoustic rock song called Subtle. The overall feel of this mid-tempo rock song is melancholy. Subtle's lyrical content conveyed the feeling of a dream that may have been a reality if not for the small, subtle changes in our lives that carry our dreams just out of our grasp.
The tempo of the CD is lifted a little higher with the next track, In The Sun. The drums kick in with a very powerful and punchy beat provided by Bill Nelson. In The Sun is a strong rock song with it's hard driving backbeat and melodically strummed acoustical guitars. A distorted electric guitar solo brings in a little more power into the musical landscape of In The SunIn The Sun is one of my faves! on Dream American.
Tick Tock is a timely rock and roll time bomb that explodes into an all-out rock jam at about the 4 minute mark. Tick Tock slowly builds the musical tension up and up until the inevitable release then the band slows down into a calming and satisfied silence. A tick tocky, like clockwork, bass line by Rob Schmarder brings this song to an end.
Stand In starts off with a Sweet Leafish coughing sound for it's intro. Stand In reminded me of an 80's band called The Specials or was it The Replacements? Either way Stand In is a jumpy rock and roll track that will get your toes a tappin'. An absolutely blazing guitar solo brings Stand In out. Stand In is my 2nd fave song on Dream American.  
Calvalcade is a quick and catchy rock song with a healthy dose of electrified rock and roll guitar throw in to spice up the melody.
Next up is Stranded. Stranded is the song when I finally realized which band NG&TS sounded like to me, Soul Asylum, Corey Hagstrom's voice reminds me of David Pirner's voice. Stranded contains a ripping guitar solo as well. Ceremony continues in the same 90's alternative vein as Stranded.
Just reading the title of Pregressive reminded of progressive rock music and when I think of progressive music I think of the band Rush. Along with being a psuedo-progressive rock track, Pregressive features a standout vocal performance by Corey Hagstrom. Bill Nelson kills it on this song.
Program Space slows the musical pace of the CD down to a calm, easy flow. When I read the title and heard the sweetly strummed, guitar intro I immediately thought of Space Oddity.
6 clicks beyond 420 lies the original NG&TG song Four 26. Roll into Four 26 to squeeze out the most musical enjoyment you possibly can out from Four 26.
Free and uninhibited, Eagle Man swoops in takes over track 11 of the Dream American CD. Eagle Man brings his super powered, world beater, the Eagle Man Vortex to power up track 11 into a electrified, acoustical rock and roll, no holds barred, jammin' rock track. Perched on his grade, Eagle Man will use his blade to feed on every rodent in the street! Think of Eagle Mans ultimate power as you listen to Eagle Man Vortex! The outro of Eagle Man Vortex contains the actual battle cry of Eagle Man as he flies off to his next adventure...it's cool.
Kingbus is truly a powerful rock and roll song. The harmonica track adds some super sweet melody and a great rocknroll/bluesy feel  to the slammin' backbeat of the song. I was reminded of the band Live when I listened to Kingbus. Kingbus is my favorite song on Dream American.
Even Better continues the acoustic alternative rock sound that defines NG&TS.
Fickle is a uptempo folk/metal rock song. Fickle is a fine example of the band using their diverse set of influences to come together as a cohesive rocknroll band.
Nope reminded me of Alice In Chains with it's distorted, doubled up vocals and melodic, wailing guitar.
Dream American the song, and the CD, is a clever commentary about the classic American Dream in all it's captivating glory - in the world where it may not exist. Dream American is about justice, political machinery, modern warfare, and the modern illusions of success, fame and fortune.
Support Local Music and goto Nietzsche's on Friday May 2nd. All Guests Recieve 3 CDs with admission.









Special Thanks to Noah, Rob and Corey!

No comments: